Thursday 31 January 2013

2013: "True Contentment."


Since the age of 16 I've had this weird tradition of giving each year a theme. For example, in 2008 I think the theme was “flying solo” to mark 2008 as the year I would do my own thing and be independent. Last year I decided that I didn’t want to give each year a theme as I found my previous themes to be quite immature and self-centred, however something I read in the 4th chapter of Philippians changed my mind.

Paul writes Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content’ Philippians 4:11. I like the way the Oxford English Dictionary defines ‘content’, it defines it as ‘a state of peaceful happiness’, ‘willing to accept something as adequate despite wanting something more or better’, ‘being satisfied’.


image


When things changed in 2012, I had to just learn to accept things as they were. “It is what it is,” the people say, and “grin and bare it”! But is this way the ideal? I have learnt and now believe that Christ can give us peace, joy, happiness and fulfilment in whatever situation or emotional state we may be in. Why? Because everything that happens in life is a brick that builds us up. Paul brings this out quite nicely in Philippians 4:12 ‘I know both to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.’ Paul then goes on to reveal the secret to his contentment in verse 13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me’

So for this year, 2013, this is what I want, true contentment (from the heart). I want to be content in Christ and his love; knowing and trusting that God is in control and his providence is working everything out for my benefit and to his glory. No matter what situation I’m in, where I live (comfortable or uncomfortable), who I’m with (with the masses or alone), where I work (and the list goes on...). And during this year,  if I am tempted to be discontent I will ask the Lord to remind me of Paul’s experience in Philippians 4:11, His promises found in His word and also how He has led me in the past. I hope this is my experience in 2013, and yours too!

Love, your girl forever,

♥ Miss Daisy ♥ 

image


No comments:

Post a Comment