Thursday 24 October 2013

He's 30 Today!

I’ve always wondered what makes turning 30 so significant? Perhaps the 30th birthday is the final stamp of adulthood; you’ve left your awkward teenage and immature twenties behind and now can be taken seriously when you refer to yourself as an adult. My brother’s 30th birthday is significant to me because it has made me think about his journey.

My oldest brother Douglas
The part of London where my family currently live was not considered the best of areas while Douglas was growing up. The schools weren’t particularly any good and the streets of E16 were filled with crime, violence, vandalism, racism etc. (It probably wasn’t as bad as I’ve made it sound but for those who grew up in the Canning Town/East London area would know what I mean) It was hard times being a boy during those times and a lot of boys his age cracked under peer pressure and “fell off the path” as it were.

So today is significant to me not because “My brother has turned the big three zerooo whoop whoop!!!!!” but rather he has reached a milestone where we can look back at his life and thank God for what He has allowed him to become despite “the odds”. Circumstances were not always favourable during these 30 years but Douglas has managed to successful swim against the tide into adulthood.

Doug, I thank God for your life and I am very proud of you.
Happy Birthday Bro
The golden days: My brother and I
With Overflowing Love
♥ Miss Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment