Thursday 5 December 2013

Let me tell you about this woman.

When she was 20 years old she decided to leave Uganda and move to England. Her partner (who later became her husband) wasn’t too keen on the idea; I mean, who did they know in England really? However this woman was determined, she had a vision…she had dreams.

While her husband worked long hours, she started doing hair from home and offering her services at local hair salons. She could have enjoyed a life at home looking after her 5 year old son and 1 year old daughter, but this woman was determined, she needed to help support her family.

Education was very important to her, but with a husband and two young children that had to be set aside, however this woman was determined and patient, it was just a matter of time.

She kept a daily journal with daily prayers for her husband and children. She faithful kept that journey!  Going before God and reviewing her day and setting goals for herself, this woman was determined; she understood the importance of a praying wife and mother.

She would watch cooking programs and with her daughter observing  by her side she would experiment in the kitchen with all kinds of recipes. When her daughter was in primary school every morning she would make her African millet porridge, her daughter loved that porridge and till this day her daughter still calls it yummy porridge. This woman was determined; her daughter had to learn to cook delicious meals.

Heavily pregnant with her second son, she redecorated and painted the whole house. She laboured tirelessly for her husband and children, no surface was left unwiped or bed unmade. This woman was determined; her house had to be a home.

Finally the time came for her to pursue a course of study. Through trial and error, success and (apparent) failures she made history she became the first university graduate in her family. Against all the odds, past mistake, inconveniences and struggles she pushed through and is finally where she wants to be. This woman was determined, determined to finally live her dream.


Do you know this woman? I know this woman, I see her in the mirror sometimes. Since she was 20 years old, I have been watching her. She provided me with a very strong example and some of my greatest strengths can be traced back to her.  Though sheer determination and much sacrifice she taught me, sometimes lessons that I didn’t want to learn.

But the greatest strength she has given me is a knowledge of God. We don’t always see eye to eye in spiritual matters, however through her the gospel seed was planted in my heart.  For years she persevered and made the greatest effort to make sure we attended church every week; (In fact my earliest childhood memory is me being outside my first church in Canning Town) she taught us how to pray and to love God. I am so thankful for her determination in this respect, as years later, by my own choice, I decided to give my heart to Christ.

Mum, I’m so thankful for the journey that God has guided you through; it’s been very inspiring to watch. I thank God for thee; for your determination and love, for everything you are and everything you mean to me.

My Mother and I at Aberdulais Falls 2013

Happy Birthday Mum
Love, your one and only daughter forever,

♥ Miss Daisy ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment